The house I made an offer on was almost everything I wanted: 1962, hardwood floors, 3 bedrooms, decent sized yard, good neighborhood. And it had been owned by the same woman since it was new.
![]() |
| The bathroom had gold sparkle laminate! |
But it also had things we weren't totally pleased about: radiant ceiling heat, unfenced corner lot, and a massive sun porch with random electrical wire strung all over it. "But I love it!" I said. I imagined being moved in time to put up my pink Christmas tree and string icicle lights outside.
The inspection clenched it. A broken pipe in the crawlspace had been dumping graywater for who knows how long. The inspector was not in favor, although our realtor was (of course) sure everything could be fixed in order to pass the inspection: the plumbing, a new electrical panel, removing code-violation wiring, and more.
We walked away. And this time I didn't cry.
We've looked at a few more since that time.
![]() |
| Funky house with things going for it, but seemed in disrepair. Exposed. |
![]() | ||||
| Steep stairs and creepy doorways. (But super cute from the front, right?) |
![]() |
| Busy road and too expensive for what it was. |
![]() |
| No sunlight. Everything felt mossy and moldy. |
![]() |
| Disliked both the location and the house. |
So that's where were at. There isn't much on the market right now because of the holidays, although I keep an eye open. And we've decided that we specifically want gas forced air, so that limits us further.
In the meantime, we're mostly happy being empty nesters in our rental. The gas heat is comfy, the wood floors are easy to sweep, the backyard is very private. And I think the rental rate is below-market.
I hope to find my house early in the new year.








No comments:
Post a Comment